Saturday, May 19, 2012

Blog #13

                    


For my summative assessment image, I chose to display a section of the St. Louis graffiti wall.

·      I chose this image as a way to introduce collaborative working to my kindergarten students. Kindergarten students can make a class artwork by working side by side, but not with, each other. I am assuming this graffiti mural was made by numerous artists who worked independently, but shared a common workspace.

·      I feel this image is appropriate for my students at this time because it contains figures, words, narratives, shapes, and bright colors (eye candy). I think they will have a good time visually exploring it. Since the students can be idiosyncratic, this mural will lend itself to multiple interpretations. It is also similar to graffiti they see on the trains that pass through their community. Another reason I chose the image is that graffiti is sometimes not viewed as a “high art,” and I want to expose them to a variety of art mediums. Lastly, the space in this mural is shallow. Since there is so much going on, it is good to balance it a flat surface reading of space.

****Disclaimer – I do not advocate defacing public property. The graffiti wall is St. Louis is a free space for this type of art. I discuss these spaces with older students who like graffiti, and let them know that graffiti done otherwise is a crime.

·      I hope that by combining this viewing with a corresponding art activity, the students will view their own drawings as art, and understand why we can VTS a class project.

·      I think they may see the words as art – which will help us when they are in older grades.

·      I hope this activity paves the way for more collaborative work and the understanding of murals and other public art.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a surprising, but very well thought out selection! I agree that the kids will respond positively and I can't wait to see where you take them with this! Graffiti is definitely part of 21st century children's visual culture since it seems to be everywhere. Neat choice!

    ReplyDelete